"BLACK TEA" SMOKED CHICKEN
11 April 2019
4 chicken thighs or 6 drumsticks
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup Tea Tonic "Black Tea" leaves
- 4 slices ginger, lightly crushed
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, or 1/4 teaspoon hickory chips
- If using chicken thighs, place chicken, skin side down, on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut slits 1/2 inch deep along both sides of the bone. Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place a wide frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Prepare a wok for steaming. Cover and steam chicken over high heat for 30 minutes.
- Combine smoking mixture and spread evenly in a foil-lined wok. Set a round cake rack over smoking mixture. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack and place wok over high heat. When a mixture begins to smoke, cover wok with a foil-lined lid; reduce heat to medium-low and smoke until chicken takes a rich deep color, 12 to 15. Turn off heat and allow to sit with lid on for 5 minutes. Serve chicken hot r at room temperature.
Enjoy the smokey flavour!!